Wednesday, September 12, 2007

First Impressions

こにちは、わたしはみひゅんです。かんこくじんです。にじゅごさいです。

I've forgotten how difficult it is to learn a new language. I remember it being so much easier to learn French and Korean as a child. The alphabet still looks like a mess of squiggles and lines thrown arbitrarily on a page.

I've always thought learning other languages was fun..."cool", for lack of a better word. It always amazed me how sounds form words that an entire society can understand, while to others, it still remains just a sound. I used to get such a thrill from speaking other languages, it was like a code or something.

After taking some time off from school and living in Korea, English itself is an adjustment. I'm excited to learn the basics of Japanese, purely out of curiosity, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the semester, but it's so much more difficult than I had thought.

4 comments:

yukki said...

ミヒュンさん、こんにちは。どうぞよろしく。

I feel the same way about learning languages. It's tough---I sometimes feel frustrated when I can't be myself in other languages than Japanese because I can't always say what I want to say. But it's rewarding too when I can do something in other languages.

BTW, what did you do in Korea before coming back to school?

グレン ヒルズ said...

おはようございます.
I too would like to know what you were up to in Korea!

hills さん

Ken Switzer said...

I agree, it can be difficult learning a new language, especially when the alphabet is not familiar. I can see the sounds in my mind as if I'm talking to myself, but when I try ot say it out loud I feel like I'm stuttering. lol.

Ken Switzer said...

What do you think of the language lab?