Monday, September 24, 2007

Full speed

I've been so tired lately. I feel so worn out and it's only the beginning of the year!

As for にほんご class (does anyone know how to say "class" in Japanese?), I was so happy that I was able to follow ふかいせんせいの lessons during class, but then when we watched the excerpt of the video, I realized that Japanese at regular speed is going to be difficult to understand.

I guess that's true of any language. I've spent some time recently with a group of Danish people and when they speak, it sounds like one really long sentence to me. Figuring out where the word breaks are can be so difficult...Maybe that's what people from abroad think when I talk too (growing up in New York, I've heard that people here are known to speak quickly). Hehe...

3 comments:

Christy said...

Mee Hyun San. I will assume you are Korean by your name? lol First to respond to your comment about the 3 languages. YES, it is VERY VERY time consuming but very very interesting/fun. Secondly, I brought my dog that day because he was whimpering for no reason. So out of pity he took a field trip to his mommy's classes with him all day. Because I have 3-4 back to back classes everyday bringing him with me will be VERY rare. But maybe I'll bring him again sometime soon just on behalf of your request (:

Ken Switzer said...

Yeah I'm pretty tired too. To answer your question I've been doing Kendo for about 9 years. I haven't had much time for it lately though .... :(

yukki said...

おはようございます。Yes, native speakers tend to speak so fast that non-native speakers have hard time understanding them. But I think it's a matter of getting used to it. You'll get "Japanese" ears before you know it :-)

And to make you feel better, even native speakers can't follow what other native speakers say. I watched a movie "Swing Girls" last week and needed subtitle!